Happy Friday from the Lowcountry!
Since Irma has passed by, the sun is out, the skies are blue, and the several low-lying areas that flooded momentarily during Monday’s tidal surge are drying and getting back to normal.
As we move ahead with this storm behind us, we thought we would share a different kind of “Hurricane Preparation List” – one that comes from first-hand experience. We asked our Facebook friends and residents/owners what they might have done differently in preparing for the storm than they had time to do for Irma…or what lessons they may have learned along the way. This is the unfiltered, un-vetted list, yet we hope some of the suggestions may prove helpful to someone else into the future.
Practical Hurricane Preparedness – What We Could Have Done Better
- Buy/Prep more sandbags
- Tie down propane tanks
- Remove fan blades from outdoor fans
- Buy extra tarps to have on hand
- Buy a generator in the off-season
- Buy additional gas cans when demand is lower
- Buy hurricane shutters in the off-season – sized, labeled and test for easy installation
- Cover attic louvers with plywood to reduce pressure and eliminate uplift
- Make sure all operational shutters have latches
- Prepare more food in advance (if not evacuating) that doesn’t require electricity to reheat
- Buy tall rubber boots
- Have pre-packed totes with extra supplies to grab in a hurry, such as: toiletries, towels, blankets, flashlights, batteries, lighter, candles, important information for pets, etc.
- If evacuating – Leave a hidden key for any neighbors who might need to get in your house or garage for supplies, to borrow tools, take a shower, etc.
You can follow our blog…there’s something new every Friday. Just click on the RSS feed button below to subscribe. We post an entertaining assortment of tips, helpful information and announcements from our Group, written by various authors within our team. We hope you enjoy! Thank you for your continued loyalty and entrusting us with your important real estate transition!’
Do you know someone thinking about buying or selling in Hilton Head or Bluffton? Let them know about us! We would appreciate the opportunity to serve them!